If you are curious about the Ministry of Finance’s budget processes, this is the time to learn it. You can join the Ministry of Finance (MOF) Budget Quiz 2014 which will commence on January 9, 2014. Participants with the highest scores in the set of quizzes will be qualified for the weekly draw. You can stand to win S$20 worth of voucher every week. The top scorers will win S$100 worth of prizes.
The quizzes are organized to invite more public awareness. MOF seeks to let the public understand the budget processes and the initiatives it cover. What are the mechanics of the quiz:
If you know when the government’s FY (Fiscal Year) begins and ends, you can join the quiz. If you know what sector holds the highest expenditure, you can also join the quiz. These are just some of the questions that you will encounter if you decide to join the quiz. If you are interested, you will be pleased to know that the MOF released guidelines or pointers to increase your chances of getting good scores. The quiz will include economic, social policies, tax, fiscal reserves, fiscal resources, resource management policies and many more.
The quiz will start from January 9, 2014 and it will end on February 17, 2014. There will be three quizzes done weekly. The quizzes are every Thursday. This contest is appealing because there are prizes. Participants with the highest scores in the final quiz (from January 30-February 17, 2014) will win S$100 worth of prizes. This is a big thing for many Singaporeans and PRs (Permanent Residents).
The good thing about this is that all are invited to take the quiz. The quiz is open to every Singaporean Citizens and PRs. There is no age limit as long as the participants understand the questions. In fact, MOF is encouraging the schools to participate in this quiz. Schools with the highest scores will get the Budget Challenge Trophy. If you are interested, you can go to MOF’s website.
It is important that you participate in this activity because it can help you understand the processes. This is not a waste of time. National budget is important because without it, the operations of the republic will not be possible. It is crucial that the budget is set so the machineries of the government can work.
Though you cannot physically join the processes of the MOF (because there are people who specifically deal with that), the fact that you know the processes and its initiatives is a good thing.
Learning should not be confined in the classroom only for there are many things kids can learn outside. This is the belief of the National Geographic Channel Young Explorers Programme. The National Geographic Channel is inviting pupils to join their nature education programme. In fact, it is expected that there will be 4000 primary school pupils joining the said program this year.
On January 3, 2014, Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan formally opened the 2014 National Geographic Channel Young Explorer’s Programme. The ceremony was held at the Botanic Gardens. The programme seeks to bring primary school pupils (ages 7-10 years old) to nature trails here in Singapore. Nature trails here include Bottle Tree Park and Botanic Gardens. For pupils who will complete the workbook, they will be selected to conduct nature camping in Borneo.
If you are a parent and you want your kid to join this programme, you can help your kid complete the following steps:
- Step one: You need to go to the official page of the National Geographic Channel Young Explorer. Your kid will be prompted to fill the registrations form. You can help him/her with that. Looking for the official page is not that difficult.
- Step two: After registering, your kid can finally access his/her account. You have to help your kid fill the information asked. Remember to fill all the fields required. You also need to encourage your kid to sign up two workshops that he/she prefers.
- Step three: Your kid should attend a workshop. There are many workshops so let your kid choose and decide. He/she needs to accomplish the self learning activity. The self learning activity worksheets should be submitted on or before March 7, 2014.
- Step four: You can help your kid submit the accomplished worksheets at any StarHub retail stores. Participants who completed and passed their worksheets on or before March 7, 2014 will be given a special certificate and NGC Young Explorer badge.
- Step five: If your child is eyeing for the Explorer Camp, you should remind him/her to submit the worksheets on or before March 7, 2014. The winning entries will be announced on March 8 at 12 noon. Your kid can look forward to this event.
Educators and parents should not worry if their pupils and kids consider these kinds of programmes. This will help in their growth and development. Learning can be done in a fun, dynamic and interactive manner. For sure kids will appreciate this method of learning. There are many programmes underway. It is important that kids know they are supported all the time.