Between natural and artificial, which is better? Of course, the natural is better because of its ingenuity. When it comes to sweeteners, calorie-conscious Singaporeans think of the calories. Artificial sweeteners may not contain calories but they can wreak havoc in your appetite and your general wellbeing. Artificial sweeteners might be worse than the sugar that you are trying to replace.
Many Singaporeans prefer natural sweeteners. If you want to try natural sweeteners, it is time that you totally ditch your artificial sweeteners and turn to nature. There are six common natural sweeteners that you should know and try. You will be surprised of its taste. Here are some:
- Yacon syrup: For centuries, South Americans use yacon for medicinal purposes. Lately, scientists discovered that the plant is more than medicinal because it can be used as a natural sweetener. In fact, the extract of yacon plant is one of the healthiest natural sweeteners. Yacon can help hasten weight loss and reduction of constipation.
- Stevia: Stevia is the newest addition to the natural sweetener family. Stevia is notable because it is 100% natural and zero-calorie sweetener. Stevia can help with the reduction of blood pressure thereby improving your heart health.
- Date sugar: If you are looking for antioxidants, you should not ignore the powers of date sugar. Date sugar is packed with calcium, iron and other essential minerals.
- Rapadura sugar: Rapadura is also as healthy as the others. One serving can give you up to 110 mg of calcium and 1000 mg of potassium. This will improve your cardiovascular and bone health.
- Blackstrap molasses: When it comes to antioxidant properties, blackstrap molasses come second next to date sugar. One tablespoon can give you about 30% of the daily recommended amount of antioxidant.
- Tagatose: Tagatose is famous because it does not leave any aftertaste like other natural sweeteners. Tagatose is found in some cheeses and milk. It has half of the calories of artificial sugars but with the same level of sweetness.
That’s it. Actually, there are myriad of natural sweeteners in the market these days. If you are particularly looking for something, you should go to organic stores. These sweeteners are available in Singapore, do not worry about it. As for the price, sweeteners are not that expensive so you can avail it without getting anxious of the price.
At the end of the day, the important thing is you achieve the right kind of sweetness. Do not overdo this because it will lead to another health problem. Enjoy!