Wines are not only for Westerners. Singaporeans now enjoy wine during special events or even ordinary days. In fact, there was a wine event organized by Dr NK Yong and Mrs Melina Yong called the La Paulee. This wine event occurred from January 31-February 2, 2014 at Capella Singapore. The event raised over S$1 million for SAAC (St Andrew’s Autism Centre), AAS (Autism Association of Singapore) and ECAARC (Eden Centre for Adults & the Autism Resource Centre).
If you are fond of wines, you know many things about it. But if in this case you are still beginning to like it, there are many things that you should know about it. Let this article be your guide. As long as you are interested, learning everything about wine is easy and worthwhile. Here are some things that you need to know about wines:
- Wine flavours: The first thing on the list is identifying the eighteen wine flavours. The challenge is to try each one of the noble grapes. The noble grapes define the uniqueness of the flavours of wine. The eighteen noble grapes include Viognier, Riesling, Chardonnay, Moscato, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Syrah, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Greenache, Nebbiolo, Chenin Blanc, Tempranillo and many more.
- Popular wine regions: You should know the popular wine regions in the world. You will not be an expert if you do not know where the best wines come from. The top ten wine regions include France, Italy, Spain, United States, Argentina, Australia, Germany, South Africa, Chile and Portugal.
- Characteristics of wines: It is important that you know the characteristics of wine if you are looking forward to be an expert. The characteristics include sweetness, acidity, tannin, fruit and body. These characteristics are basic and if you want to properly identify it, you should learn how to taste it.
- Descriptions of wines: Wines are interesting because of its different descriptions. There are over a hundred descriptions but as a beginner, you might want to start with the eleven main categories like body, herb, fruit, oak, yeast, zippy, astringent and many more.
- Traits of wine: In the case of wines, it taste better with age. If you want to taste the best, you should look for ageing wines. The traits of ageing wine include acidity, tannin, alcohol level and residual sugar.
- Becoming a wine expert: You can become an expert and taste wines for a living. The first thing that you should do is develop your wine palate. You can start by tasting modest ones before moving higher. Aside from tasting wines, you need to read many articles and references to develop your palate.