Drinking alkaline or ionized water is highly recommended by doctors and health experts in Singapore. However, not everyone is familiar with this type of water, and even some people who have heard about it are still hesitant to check it out because they don’t know how to properly drink it. Here we’ve gathered some tips on how to consume ionized water in order to maximize its positive effects on your health.
Know the Levels of Alkaline Water
It’s important to know that ionized water comes in different alkaline levels, and that you need to start at level one (8.5 pH) before going any higher. Many people in Singapore do not know this, and start consuming ionized water in random levels. It’s recommended to start at level 1 for two weeks to see how the water affects your body before going any level higher.
Notice Your Body’s Reaction
Although it’s a much healthier alternative to tap water, alkaline water is not for everyone as it can cause negative effects if your body cannot adjust to it. If you experience stomach troubles or if you just don’t feel refreshed after drinking the water, try drinking a level lower or higher of alkalized water. However, your safest option is to go see a doctor and discuss the problem with him or her.
Drink It with Your Supplements
Who would have thought that drinking ionized water with your vitamins would contribute to the potency of the supplements? We often drink water with our meds just to make swallowing easier. If you are in the know, H2O Life Source produces good alkaline water in Singapore that you can drink from your home. Some even take for soda or coffee to go with their medication. But if you want to get the most of your vitamin supplements, drink it with ionized water.
Drink at the Right Time
It is best to drink alkaline water before and after—not during—mealtimes, especially if your meal contains meat. A good rule of thumb is to drink 20 minutes before and 20 minutes after meals. If you prefer to drink water during meals, squeeze a slice of lemon into the ionized water to add a bit of acid to your alkalized drink. The main reason for this is that during the initial stage of digestion, your stomach needs a more acidic environment to digest food.
Drink Plenty Especially When Ill
When you feel sick, the more important it is to drink healthier type of water. Drinking ionized water will help you recover fast and prevent your illness from getting worse, especially when experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, or excessive sweating. When you feel unwell, consuming plenty of water helps your body by:
• Reducing fever – water helps alleviate body temperature
• Thinning out consistency of secretions – hydration stops secretions from thickening and making them easier to expel
• Rehydrating the body – water helps replenish the lost liquids in the body due to vomiting or diarrhea.
Drink It During Exercise
When working out, our body lose more water due to excessive sweating. To rehydrate the body the right way, drink two glasses of alkaline water 15 minutes before working out and a glass of water every 15 minutes during the session. Drink even more water when working out in a hot environment. Alkaline water is a much healthier substitute to tap water as it helps reduce the effects of lactic acid build-up when exercising. Spring water is usually acidic, while tap water has chemicals that add to the toxic burden of your system.
Some Dos and Don’ts of Drinking Alkaline Water
1. Drink two to three glasses of ionized water when you wake-up. It wakes your system, flushes out toxins, and prepares the body to take in food.
2. Drink a glass of ionized water before going to bed. We lose internal fluids when we are asleep so it’s important to hydrate before sleeping.
3. Drink a glass of water before taking a bath or having a massage. This helps the body lower blood pressure and release toxins.
4. Sip water throughout the day. Especially when in the office, constantly sipping water helps you focus more on your work.
1. Drink water during meals. As mentioned earlier, it’s best to drink ionized water before and after meals. Drinking during meals will dilute the acid in the body, which is essential for digestion.
2. Wait until you are thirsty before you sip some water. You are already dehydrated if you wait to feel the thirst.
Some Handy Tips to Drink More Water
1. Always bring an alkaline water filter, which comes in a form of tumbler, wherever you go.
2. Consume more fruits and vegetables with high water content, such as watermelon, apples and cucumber.
3. Make drinking water a habit—post reminders in different places.
4. Sip a little every after toilet break. Before going back to your desk, stop by the pantry to chug down a glass of water.
5. Use a water filter that’s marked with ounces or even hours to help you reach your everyday water goal.
6. Keep track with the number of glasses you have finished with the help of free mobile applications like Carbodroid and Daily Water Free. These apps are equipped with alarms to remind you to drink a glass of water on time.
Alkaline water may sound intimidating, but it is highly recommended to be an everyday drink. Though there are some people in Singapore who do not know the importance of correctly drinking this type of water, having the right knowledge and guidance will maximize the health benefits this water has to offer.